As a exclusively breastfeeding mama (yes, we are still EBF at almost 9 months) I have ran into a few days of less than full feeling breasts to feed my growing little girl. Especially when the dreaded time of the month comes around. So, to keep my supply up I started drinking Fenugreek Tea, otherwise known as mothers milk tea. But it had adverse effects on my stomach and in all honesty made me clear the room I was in after drinking it. So, a few of my mama friends mentioned lactation cookies.
They had me at cookie.
So, after numerous batches of lactation cookies from recipes I have found from other mamas and online, I realized they have all had ingredients in them that have been either quite unhealthy, or non vegan and also VERY sticky (and needless to say I LOVE cookies and can’t have just one). So, I decided to experiment and create my own recipe filled with all the things I have loved about the 20+recipes I have researched. I also decided to go with a bar instead of a cookie so I don’t have to mess so much with the sticky dough. You can choose to make cookies if you want.
Now I would love to share it with all of you!
Lightgreenmom Healthy Vegan Lactation Bars
Preheat oven to 350 degrees .
1 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
3 Cups Oatmeal
6 1/2 Tablespoons Brewers Yeast
1 Cup Ground Flaxseed
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 Vegan Dark Chocolate bar or 1/2 -2/3 cup Vegan Dark Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup Almonds (or your choice of nut)
1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries (or your choice of dried fruit)
3/4 Cup Real Pumpkin
1/2 Cup All Natural Applesauce
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
3/4 -1 Cup Light Agave (I use 3/4 C, but if you like it sweeter, you can use a full cup)
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Water
You will need three bowls. 2 Small/Med and one large.
- In the large bowl mix all of your dry ingredients. (Minus Flax, you will use it in the next step)
- In one of the small bowls put water and flax in and mix until the flax absorbs water.
- In your third bowl, mix all of your wet ingredients.
- Add the flax mixture to your wet ingredients and mix.
- Now add your wet to your dry mix bowl and mix it all thoroughly. (I usually give in and use my hands at this point, because it is very sticky.
- Mix in Almonds, Cranberries, and Chocolate.
- Spread into greased pan. (I used a 9×12 and also had enough for another bread pan size. If you spread it thin you can make 2, just adjust baking times accordingly).
- Set timer and bake 20-25 minutes for thicker bars. 18-20 minutes for thinner bars, or 12-14 minutes for cookies.
- Take out of the oven and cool.